24 January, 2011

that's my funday...

a couple of weeks ago, once i was back in california, i determined to work on my work/life balance a little. i realize that i work way too much, but the thing is; i almost don't know how not to.... it's my job to be stitching and making all of the time - but that's what i love doing anyway, so what else can i do?


i did, however, realize that i had gotten really far from the practice of making things just for the heck of it. i used to do so many different little crafty things with my time. now, and for the past number of years since chez-sucre-chez has been my bread and butter, i tend to feel the need to only be working on projects related to the business and making income.
in an attempt for better balance, i've created sunday funday for myself; one day a week where i use my creative energy for absolutely non chez-sucre-chez work. it's my day to play with mediums outside of embroidery floss and aida cloth - to do projects that i've been meaning to do for years - to try something new.
the funny thing about starting this new discipline was that it had been so long since i've thought like this that yesterday, i couldnt think of a project that i wanted to do! so i went to the purlbee blog for inspiration, and that's when i realized that i hadnt even looked though any of those inspiration/project blogs in such a long time! so i had a lot of catching up to do, and spent several hours clicking and reading. it was delightful.
rather late into my sunday funday, i decided that i wanted to play with felt and that i would make these beautiful little rose barrettes for my niece and for the many other adorable little daughters of my friends.


with such a late start, and with a party raging outside my door, i only finished one complete barrette and then i was eager to socialize a bit and to see the barrette in the hair of one of the little lovelies running around the back yard. by then, it was too dark for a photo, but oh my goodness, did izzy ever look sweet with that little red rose in her hair. (i'll try for a pic next time i see her or one of the other wee girls.)
i came back in later in the evening and finished the rest of the roses. next is to make and attach them to the barrette part. but that might have to wait a little...
i'm not sure if i'll stick to my plan for EVERY sunday, but it's at least giving me a goal/structure to strive for. i'm excited about it. stay tuned.

3 comments:

Leila said...

Those are really cute! I missed that project somehow. And don't really know any little girls anyway. . .

Mollyandollie said...

Go you! Have FUN!!!

Bella Jean said...

Bella Jean wants a red one and a white one!