16 May, 2013

a few new things...

Last week, I was busy busy busy with my preparations for the Art Star Craft Bazaar - which was actually really good this time around! It's Thursday and I'm still unpacking and catching up from the weekend and the week before, but I'm also feeling really motivated and excited about new work. Renegade Brooklyn is coming up in a little over a month and I'm feeling positive about it this year. I'm thinking that after 5 years of doing these summer outdoor events, I might *finally* have my act together.

Here are a few things I did the week before Art Star:



It's a line from the play Lady Windemere's Fan, by Oscar Wilde. I went through a bit of a kick in high school where I was OBSESSED with Oscar Wilde and reading just about everything he ever wrote. I thought to do this quote a couple of months ago, when I was doing all of the pieces about stars (here), but then I was over it. I guess it never really left my brain - I had to make it happen, and when I went to check my copy of the old Oscar Wilde collected works, I smiled to see that I'd underlined that quote oh so many years ago when I first read it.



I also remember the first time that I recognized it in the Pretenders song, Message of Love. (Check out Chrissie Hynde in that video; her style is so bad-ass, I love it.)

Also new -- simple ticking stripe napkins with "Enjoy!" embroidered on them. I think they're quite fantastic -- casual, smart, chic.



The Thursday night before Art Star, I had a moment of sudden inspiration where I decided it'd be a great idea to stitch up a few special towels for Mother's Day.



B graciously did the illustration for me and I was able to stitch up a few before the event, and I'm glad that they were well received -- I only have one left!

Lastly, here's a look at my display board as I was setting it all up for my booth:



(I had to take this off of my Instagram account, as I didn't take any regular camera shots of it...)
It's always a surprise, and a bit of a delight, when I put all of the pieces I've been working on together in one display. I'm always a little bit impressed and excited about how well they end up working together - like I've been working on themes and schemes even moreso than I had previously realized.

I've got one more piece in the works with this whole pink/roses theme -- and then we'll have to see what happens next!

No comments: